Phototherapy where it is needed, directly on the baby’s skin, simple enough to use at home. Hold, bond and breastfeed your baby during the treatment. Talk to your Doctor today.
What is Jaundice?
Newborn jaundice is a yellowing of the skin cased by a build up of bilirubin in the blood and tissues of the body. Jaundice is very common, affecting more than half of all newborn babies. Normal jaundice resolves naturally just by frequent and effective breastfeeding.
If jaundice is severe it is treated via phototherapy. Phototherapy helps to break down bilirubin in the blood by a particular spectrum of light. Once the bilirubin has changed, the intestines can now get rid of the bilirubin.
What is a Biliblanket?
I use a BiliTX Biliblanket by Philips Medical Systems.
The Biliblanket applies phototherapy where it is needed, directly on the baby’s skin.
The light source is placed away from the baby to ensure no heat is transferred from the machine.
You can hold, bond and breastfeed your baby during the treatment.
- Your doctor will inform you if your baby’s jaundice needs treatment.
- Talk to your doctor if you wish a home-based treatment.
- Your doctor will ask you to check the bilirubin levels regularly while on treatment.
- Your doctor will determine when it’s safe to stop the treatment
- dropping off equipment at your home.
- full training on the equipment and its use.
- a disposable cover.
Further disposable covers can be purchased if needed.
Equipment to be dropped off at 40 Worplestone Way, Glen Lorne after the treatment to avoid further costs.
Please read the Parents Manual before using the equipment. A paper version is provided to you on rental.
Here is a video on how to use the BiliTx Biliblanket, made by a rental service in the USA: https://youtu.be/sk1KRS6UXA4